NEC’s mission from the outset has been, ‘to provide clarity, flexibility and stimulate good management’. No other contract suite strives to enhance the procurement and delivery process, rather than just facilitate it
NEC is a suite of contract documents published in 2005. The most recent suite of NEC was published in April 2013. The NEC Contract documents are used for engineering and construction work, term service (maintenance and FM), professional services and supply of goods. All contracts include the same three key features; clarity credibility and management of risks
Each of these contracts comes with its own Guidance Notes and often also its own Flow Charts. These documents can be obtained from ECS Associates.
The NEC family of contract documents is an innovative manner of procuring and managing engineering and construction projects. The NEC approach is based on a project management system that provides a means of maintaining contemporary records and dealing with issues in a short space of time.
The NEC Family of Contracts consists of the following:
- Engineering and Construction Contract (ECC3) also known as the “Black Book”
- Engineering and Construction Short Contract (ECSC3)
- Professional Services Contract (PSC3)
- Professional Services Short Contract (PSSC3)
- Term Service Contract (TSC3)
- Term Service Shor Contract (TSSC3)
- Engineering and Construction Sub-Contract (ECS3)
- Engineering and Construction Short Sub-Contract (ECSS3)
- Adjudicators Contract (AC3)
- Framework Contract (FC3)
- Supply Contract (SC3)
- Short Supply Contract (SSC3)
NEC USER GROUP
NEC User Group Events
The NEC User Group is well established in the UK, and has had some success in the past in sharing information on the NEC in South Africa, driven largely by a few individuals. ICE-SA has taken on this role, and hosts NEC User Group events, and share information on implementation of the NEC family of documents.
In addition, where contracts call for the Chairman of the South African NEC User Group to nominate an adjudicator, the ICE-SA performs this function, as the custodian of the South African NEC User Group.
NEC User Group Training
The NEC User Group based in the UK offers many different training events to improve the skills of NEC Practitioners. Some of these are physical events, which are difficult for South African residents to participate in, however they also offer ONLINE events(link is external).
NEC online training enables you to gain a comprehensive and clear understanding of the NEC3 suite of contracts at any time, anywhere in the world, at your own pace. Our online courses offer the same peer reviewed and expertly delivered programme content as our classroom training courses.
The online learning process is simple.Once signed up, you will receive an email with your personal log in details. You will then be able to complete your training course in modular sessions, each followed by a test.
Here is a list of the courses currently on offer:
Level: Never used NEC
- Introduction to NEC3(link is external)
- Introduction to the Engineering and Contstruction Contract (ECC)(link is external)
Level: Getting Started with NEC3
- Introduction to the Term Service Contract (TSC)(link is external)
- Introduction to the Professional Services Contract (PSC)(link is external)
- Introduction to the Professional Services Short Contract (PSSC)(link is external)
Level: Experienced users
- International Application of NEC3 and Comparison to FIDIC and NEC3 as an EPC Contract(link is external)
- Disallowed Cost under the ECC(link is external)
Level: Advanced users
- Programme Provisions under NEC3 Contracts (link is external)
- Role of the ECC Supervisor(link is external)
- Managing the TSC Contractor’s Plan and Programme(link is external)
For more, view the NEC webpage here: https://www.neccontract.com/products/training/online-courses